Top Tips for driving in the EU

October 25, 2022

With half-term upon us again, many families are heading across to Europe whether it’s to wander the streets of Bruge, let the kids run riot at Eurodisney or throw the chips in at the Casino in Monaco.

But before you start driving on the right-hand side of the car, here are some top tips for driving in Europe.

Get Your Documents in Order

For the majority of European Countries, you will need to carry a certain set of documents. These include your V5 or VE103B (for lease/hire cars), your driving licence along with your motor insurance.

International Driving Permits

Some countries will require an International Driving Permit. This can easily be obtained from your local Royal Mail Post Office at a cost of £5.50. This is really important for those who only hold a paper based UK driving licence. You will need to take a passport photograph with you along with your current driving licence.

European Breakdown Cover

Many policies from breakdown assistance programs will not cover you for your trips abroad, but this can be easily added as an option or taken online. We’d recommend using a cashback service such as Quidco to see if there are some special offers available.

Carry The Correct Kit

In many countries in Europe, there are certain items that you will need to carry when taking your vehicle abroad. These include warning triangles, spare bulb kits and fluorescent safety vests. These can all easily be purchased from AMAZON.

Don’t Forget the Tolls

Unlike the UK, where we only have the M6 Toll, the motorways and major roads may have tolls which you will need to pay to access their road network. It is important to carry local currency and a credit/debit card to pay these toll charges. If you fail to pay, they will catch you up in the UK.

UK Stickers

GB Stickers have been phased out, so when driving abroad make sure you have a UK Sticker clearly displayed on the rear of your vehicle. If your number plate has this already on it, you can tick this off your list.

Clean Air Zones

Check which cities you may be entering as many have introduced similar schemes to the ULEZ and Clear Air Zones. One of the biggest impacts to drivers is the Crit’ Air Windscreen Stickers, make sure you give yourself plenty of notice to arrange these before travelling.

More Information

If you would like any more information on taking your car abroad, please use the following articles:

There are so many circumstances where you may need that flexible vehicle, just call the team on 0330 330 9425 to see how we can help you!

City Car
4 Wheel Drive